Potter's Wheel: A Search for Love and the Truth...

I am restarting this blog for the purpose of discussing relationships more so than promoting my novel, maybe both. I feel that it is important if we as sensitive humans are going to get any happiness out of life. I hope you will join me and add to the discussion wherever possible.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

"Big Love" & Polygamy

I have been watching HBO’s “Big Love’. It is a story about a man with three wives, i.e. polygamy. It is very interesting and recommended watching.

The statement I will make here will probably offend my conservative friends and liberal enemies alike. I believe that any two… or more consenting adults have the right to form any union (marriage) that they feel is appropriate for them.

Yes, gay & lesbian marriage is fine, as is polygamy and polyandry.

You can make jokes about how homosexual marriage partners have the same rights to be miserable as straight couples, and unhappy in divorce and straights, but that just isn’t the point. As we go through this lifetime, we have the inalienable right to try and find happiness in any relationship we can, as long as it doesn’t hurt any of the partners.

The only reason I can think people have been against polygamy is that men have historically made the laws, governmental and canon. If it were allowed many of these men would never have marriages or families. This might not be such a bad idea since many of them are such losers and bad guys. Maybe the genetic pool would be a lot cleaner since most women are very savvy and would innately go for the best, even if it meant sharing.

More next time.

Chuck

Copyright 2006 Charles E. Rickard All Rights Reserved

1 Comments:

  • At 3:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with you! And I totally love "Big Love"... it's kind of a guilty pleasure for me! (I would never want to be a polygamist... I'm not sure I even would ant to marry ONE person... and I do disagree with real-life stories where 12-year-olds are "given" to a grown man for marriage... but among consenting adults, I don't see what the big deal is!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home